Friday, August 19, 2011

let the sowing begin!!!

Well, it is sad to loose the mighty Masarap mob to this funky little challenge, however, its a bit like not eating your broadbeans or sweat potatoes for the first season, so that you have more to harvest the next. We wish you guys the very best in your new venture and are sure that you will reap a greater harvest in the seasons to come. The very best of luck to you all.


As for progress on our suburban front yard, we have had some trees removed allowing a great deal more light, and therefore, more growing space. the toilet rolls have been put into action, and the seeds have been sown for the summer harvest. we are going heirloom this year, with crookneck zuchinni's, all manner of old fashioned tomatoes, and golden midget watermelon to name a few. We also want to create a substantial tea garden with some peppermint and chamomile for home made teas. Lots of fun days ahead.


But most exciting of all, the CROP & SWAP (food swap) will kick off this November. we have hired a hall and tied up the public liability red tape matters so that we can legally meet other veggie growers in our neighbourhood and swap our fruit and veggies, just in case someone's head explodes at the sight of a bag of home grown tomatoes.




On a sadder note, I may need to seek professional help. I think I am addicted to buying horse manure. I purchased another 8 bags last week, and 2 weeks before that, 10 more. Now, whenever I drive past a paddock, I catch myself looking for "Poo for Sale" signs, my hands get all clammy, and my heart rate increases with silly daydreams of covering my entire front yard in horse manure. I look at myself in the rear vision mirror and think, "you've changed"... Any suggestions?



2 comments:

  1. When you come to stay at the farmstay, bring bags and you can shovel to your hearts delight.
    kimx

    ReplyDelete
  2. it was lovely to meet J&J and co. the other day! so sad i'll be missing out on the food swap! but i have no doubts you guys will do great. and, while we won't be doing things locally .... rest assured we will still contribute and keep you guys up-to-date on our own dinner making abilities! kim .... your farm stay is so coming together and i hope that my mob get to stay there one day and learn heaps about GOATS before we venture into that world!

    ReplyDelete